Saturday, March 28, 2009

Listening in (Thing 17)

I listened to the Library of Congress podcast, “Voices from the Days of Slavery: Stories Songs and Memories.” Fountain Hughes was interviewed as part of the WPA collection in the 1930’s, recounting his days as a slave and his time after slavery was abolished. He described being a slave as worse than being treated like a dog, and he described his days after slavery as being lost like cattle turned out in a field.

The Library of Congress podcast was easy to find and easy to use. On the loc.gov home page, there was a link on the left that said “Podcasts.” I clicked on it to see what I could see, and Mr. Hughes’s summary interested me: “Fountain Hughes reflects on his childhood experiences before and after the end of slavery in Charlottesville, VA. Among other events, Mr. Hughes recollects slave auctions and the hardships endured by freed slaves after the end of the Civil War.”

I have been wanting to try my hand at podcasting, and had hoped to get one up for this Thing, but it didn’t happen (microphone/computer compatibility issues). Podcasting is a project I definitely look forward to experimenting with in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment